- Eliminates the Fear-Tension-Pain Syndrome before, during, and after birthing
- Eliminates or greatly reduces the need for chemical painkillers
- Shortens the first stage of labor
- Eliminates fatigue during labor, leaving mother fresh, awake and with energy for the actual birthing
- Eliminates risk of hyperventilation from shallow breathing methods
- Promotes special bonding between mother, baby and birthing companion
- Enables a more rapid postnatal recovery
- Returns birthing to the beautiful, peaceful experience nature intended
- Creates a more integral role for the birthing companion
- Results in significantly fewer surgical births
- Instills a confidence in birthing couples so they are more able to direct the course of their birthing
- Produces a higher number of comfortable, natural births with no technological assistance
- Assists breech-presented babies to turn into appropriate birthing position with hypnosis
- Helps calm and relax a pregnant and/or birthing mother any time she feels stressed out
- Creates calmer babies who nurse better and sleep better because they are gently and calmly breathing into the world; trauma is not a part of their birth experience
- Creates a highly satisfactory birth experience for Moms, Dads and Babies
I want to be awake and aware for the birth of my baby. Will using hypnosis interfere with this?
No, you will not be asleep or disconnected from the birth. In fact, Moms who use hypnosis for birth are more in tune with their bodies and babies and thus more able to respond to what their bodies are telling them. You will be intensely focused on relaxing your body and so be able to let it do what it has been designed to do.
Why should I take HypnoBirthing rather than another childbirth class?
HypnoBirthing is as much a philosophy as it is a childbirth class. It is based on the belief that childbirth is a natural process. One that women’s bodies are designed to experience in a fairly comfortable manner. The techniques and strategies you will learn will help you get out of the way of the process so that it can work the most efficiently for you. Relaxation, visualizations and affirmations are all key to this ability to let go. As HypnoBirthing Childbirth Educators we keep up on all of the latest evidence-based research in childbirth. We recertify once a year, keeping all of our credentials current.
Will HypnoBirthing help with the pain of childbirth?
When a woman is fully relaxed there is generally no physical reason for extreme pain during birth. Our bodies are designed to work efficiently and effectively….as long as we stay out of the way. Most pain enters into the birth when a Mom is tense and fighting against her body. This tension is usually caused by fears, concerns and worries about the birth or what life after the baby comes will be like. By eliminating these fears prior to birthing, the Mom can move into labor feeling calm, relaxed and eager to meet her baby. We do not promise a painless birth…but many Moms do report a birth with little or no pain.
Do I need a partner to take the HypnoBirthing classes with me?
The support of a birthing partner who understands what, why and how you are preparing for your birth is very helpful. Our classes are designed for you and the person who will be your main support person during your birthing. However, Moms who have had no special support person have had wonderful HypnoBirths. Since all hypnosis is self-hypnosis – a state that you take yourself into – a Mom birthing alone can create a wonderful HypnoBirth. A Doula, trained in hypnosis for childbirth, is invaluable to help support the birthing couple, too.
I’m not sure if I want to have an epidural or not. Is HypnoBirthing still an option for me?
Definitely. The wonderful thing about HypnoBirthing is that it does not tell you how you should birth. We just give you the tools you can use to ease your birthing. You have the ability and knowledge to adjust in any way you need, depending on what road your birth takes. And – you and your baby get all the wonderful benefits of daily relaxation practice long before the birth takes place.
What if I have a Caesarian Section?
The wonderful thing about HypnoBirthing is that the things you learn…deep relaxation, visualizations, affirmations…are useful to you even before your birthing. They help keep you calm and focused on that wonderful little baby within. This creates a serene, positive environment for your baby to develop in. Many women go through labor before a C-section is decided on and your HypnoBirthing tools will help you through this time. In addition, recovery after a C-section can be greatly enhanced, along with a reduction in post-operative pain, with these same techniques.
What if I can’t go into hypnosis?
Hypnosis is a natural occurring state which most of us enter several times a day. Have you ever caught yourself day-dreaming? Or became so involved in an activity that you were unaware of what was going on around you? You were in a state of hypnosis. If you can imagine and are of average or above-average intelligence, you can learn to enter hypnosis whenever you wish. It is a technique you learn and master with practice.
Visit the Hypnobirthing Institute at www.hypnobirthing.com for more answers to your questions.